One to one training is a great way to improve your skills really quickly, as well as being extremely flexible. It is tailored to your personal needs, and carried out at a time and date that is convenient for you – including evenings or weekends. It can take place at your home, or anywhere within a 10 mile radius of Chesterfield (mileage charges apply for locations further afield in Derbyshire). You can book as much or as little as you need, with the minimum session being for only 2 hours. Further training sessions can be arranged as required, at any time.
Digital Photography Training
If you are new to digital photography, or struggling with a new digital camera, getting help from an experienced professional photographer can save you a lot of time and frustration. Digital photography training for beginners is suitable for users of almost any sort or make of camera, from compact to DSLR, provided that they have manually adjustable settings. It covers such topics as:
- how to use the different modes and settings on your digital camera
- getting correct exposure
- how to set the focus where you want it
- getting the correct colour balance in your photos
- how to understand the information and warnings your camera gives you
- how to improve your images with very basic photo editing techniques
For more advanced users, the subjects covered can also include such things as:
- creative use of different lenses, depth of field and shutter speeds
- use of filters
- shooting in RAW format
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography
- panoramic photography
This is suited more to users of prosumer, mirrorless or digital SLR cameras.
Training can take place anywhere in the Chesterfield area, or a location can be chosen by me using my extensive local knowledge of Chesterfield and the Peak District area to find the subjects that most interest you.
Photography Training for users of Nikon Digital SLRs
As an experienced Nikon user, I am well placed to show you how to get the best from your Nikon digital SLR. I can show you some of the less obvious advantages of your Nikon camera – and some of its quirks as well. In a short time, you will feel more comfortable with your Nikon, and be able to concentrate more on taking photographs than on buttons and dials.
You’ll also see how you can use the free Nikon software that came with your camera to import, view and edit your images on a computer, and how it – uniquely – can give you information that will help you to improve your photography. Because I already have the software installed on my laptop, this training can take place anywhere – even out in the wilds of the Derbyshire Peak District!
Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop Training
While Adobe Photoshop is the best known photo editing software, it is no longer the one recommended for day-to-day photographic editing. That badge has now passed to Adobe Lightroom, which was designed specifically for the needs of digital photographers, is much easier and quicker to learn, and much cheaper than Photoshop as well!
While Lightroom is considerably more user-friendly than Photoshop, it is still a professional level application for organizing and editing images, and one that takes some time to learn – particularly if you are new to photo editing.
My one to one training allows you to learn at your own pace in a logical manner. I can show you how to use Lightroom to:
- download, organize and sort your images quickly
- make corrections to density, contrast and colour to the whole, or selected parts, of an image
- convert images to black and white
- tone and split tone images both in colour and black and white
- correctly crop, straighten and resize images
- automate processes to really save time
- integrate Lightroom with an external editor such as Photoshop or Photoshop Elements
- output files for print or web purposes
- create slideshows and web galleries within Lightroom
Photoshop has a much steeper learning curve than Lightroom, so is best reserved for specific tasks that Lightroom can’t handle. Depending on your needs, I can teach such topics as:
- setting up the Adobe Photoshop workspace
- preferences and colour management settings
- how to edit non-destructively using adjustment layers, masks and smart objects
- how to retouch images and remove imperfections
- using filters for sharpening, blurring and special effects
- adding text and layer styles
- choosing the correct file formats for your purposes
- outputting for print or web use
For both Lightroom and Photoshop training, you can either use your own computer, or else I can provide an Apple Mac for you to work on (both applications are cross-platform, with only minor differences between Mac and Windows versions).
Please contact me if you would like further details.
If you would prefer to learn on a course with a group of other people, rather than on a one to one basis, please click on the image on the left for details of digital photography and Lightroom training courses in the Peak District, Derbyshire and Sheffield area.